Keep Water Out Of Your Flue With Attractive & Durable Custom Chimney Caps & Flue Covers
If you want to keep your chimney looking great, working great, and free of water-related damage for decades to come, one of the most important things you can do is invest in a quality chimney cap or flue cover. These metal coverings fit over the chimney stack and keep leaves, debris, small animals, and water from entering, which can save you a lot of headache and a lot of money. Here’s how:
- Leaves/debris — With all the strong winds and severe weather we get here in the Memphis area, leaves, twigs, and other debris can be blown into an open, uncovered flue. The problem is that leaves and other flammable debris can cause blockages, hinder fireplace performance, result in smoke issues, and even cause a fire. With a properly installed chimney cap or flue cover, your chimney can remain leaf- and debris-free.
- Small animals/birds — While the chimney doesn’t seem like an ideal place to raise a family to us, for birds and other small animals, it’s the perfect place. Little critters and birds commonly nest in open flues, which can be a problem for a number of reasons. One, they can block the flue and cause performance problems and smoke issues. Two, their nesting materials are highly flammable and can ignite. Three, they bring with them mites and other parasites you don’t want in your home. And four, they can get stuck (especially the babies) and end up dying in the chimney or falling down into the fireplace. Chimney caps and flue covers are designed to keep birds and animals from nesting in your chimney, so you don’t have to worry about these issues in your home.
- Water (rain, snow, sleet) — We have our fair share of downpours and strong storms here in the greater Memphis, TN area, and when that rain comes pouring down it can go right into an open or uncovered flue. There isn’t an area of your chimney that can’t be damaged by water, so the more you can do to keep water out, the better — and a chimney cap can help!
How Can You Tell If Your Chimney Cap Or Flue Cover Needs To Be Replaced?
When properly installed and in great condition, a chimney cap or flue cover can keep all of the above out of the chimney, so you don’t have to worry. But without spending some time on your roof, how can you tell if your chimney cap or flue cover needs to be replaced?
- look for rust stains on the sides of your chimney or on your roof
- listen for dripping sounds in your fireplace when it’s raining outside
- check your fireplace for pooling water or rust
See any troubling signs? Give us a call ASAP! But even if you don’t see any signs, it’s important that you schedule an annual inspection with The Chimney Doctor. We’ll inspect your entire chimney system — top to bottom — and let you know if your cap or flue cover needs to be replaced.
We Create Custom Caps & Flue Covers To Complement Any Home
Here at The Chimney Doctor, our team specializes in creating the most beautiful and effective custom metal chimney caps and flue covers. Whether you like the look of stainless steel, copper, or powder-coated metal, we have the materials, tools, and know-how to deliver beautiful results that complement the look of your home and effectively keep water, debris, and animals out. If your crown is damaged and that’s how water is making its way in, we can create a custom full-metal chimney cover that will protect both the flue and the rest of the chimney top. No matter the size or shape of your chimney or how many flues you have, we’ve got you covered (pun intended)!
Call The Chimney Doctor Today
Without a chimney cap or flue cover, it’s only a matter of time before water causes deterioration and damage to your chimney and home. Don’t wait for costly damage to show up— instead call The Chimney Doctor at 901-388-8097 to schedule an inspection with one of our licensed and insured chimney professionals. We make chimney protection easy, affordable, and attractive. Call today or request an appointment online — we’re here to help.
Like us on Facebook